28th May - 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Sydney NSW
Professional Development Session
Following the success of two recent Meter Symposiums, the Conservatorium Open Academy in association with the Music Teachers’ Association of NSW is proud to present
Meter Revolution: Rebuilding your Concept of Meter
Designed for both studio and classroom teachers, this new and innovative way of thinking about and teaching meter [sic] to your students and therefore increasing their understanding and enjoyment of performance is presented by esteemed teacher and academic:
Professor Richard Cohn
Battell Professor of the Theory of Music, Yale University Visiting Professor, Sydney Conservatorium of Music
The workshop will cover the following topics:
• what is meter and where is it located?
• how are meters classified?
• what is the relationship between meter and musical notation?
• how can the classifications of meter be represented?
• how can meters relate to each other?
• how do meters change?
• how can a composer or improviser chart a metric “script”?
• how can understanding meter help a classical performer to learn music, explore different ways of hearing a composition’s meter, and make appropriate choices from among them?
Whether you are an instrumental or vocal teacher, this professional development session discussing contemporary thought, knowledge and teaching of meter is a MUST for all music teachers. So, come and learn how to teach this groundbreaking concept of musical meter.
Take advantage of Professor Cohn’s inventive ideas and register now!
Go to: openacademy.sydney.edu.au or phone Open Academy 9351 1208
Don’t miss out!
Date: Sunday 28th May
Cost: MTA and UMTA members: $25
Venue: Sydney Conservatorium of Music
Recital Hall West, Level 1
Time: 2.00pm to 5.00pm [includes afternoon tea]
To gain MTA and UMTA member discount please use the promo code ‘PULSE’ on the Open Academy Website.
This session can count towards Teacher Identified Professional Development hours for accreditation purposes. A Certificate of Completion will be available on request.